Welcome!

This blog is dedicated to the stories I've written over the years. Sometimes I get some time and add a story. Grab a hot cup of something and enjoy!

Please note that for some reason, blogger is NOT allowing me to post on any comments. So thank you for reading and know I do read all the comments but cannot reply.

Friday, December 3, 2010

A Place to Call Home - Nine

Nine

Rhonda kept bringing small things to Carrie to take, like packs of crackers, Vienna sausages, some dried fruit and berries from the farm, and even a small round of homemade cheese. She also brought her a nice coffee cup, one of those camping ones, cram packed full with packets of tea and hot chocolate.

“I think this will fit in your fanny pack. Sometimes we need something hot to warm us up and comfort us.”

“Thank you. I really appreciate all you are doing but really this is enough. I won’t be able to carry any more.”

“Well, I also want to talk to you about that. Sam and I have a couple of bikes and wanted to offer you the use of one. It will make your trip go by quicker.”

“I appreciate the offer, but I respectfully have to say no. You’ve been very nice but I can’t do that. I would have to worry about it and I really don’t want to have to worry about anything else but myself.”

Rhonda sighed heavily “ok, I understand. But I will still hope you will reconsider, ok?”

Carrie smiled and said “ok, I’ll think about it but I won’t promise anything”.

The next morning Sam and Rhonda woke up early hoping to convince Carrie to use the bike. At 7 o’clock, Rhonda went to Carrie’s room and found it empty except for a note on the pillow wrapped around a ten dollar bill.

She called to Sam who came running in and handed him the note. He read it out loud:

Dear Sam and Rhonda, I want to thank you so much for care and love you’ve shown me these past couple days. I especially appreciate you allowing me to help with the animals; it brought me closer to the time I use to spend with my Gramma.

I know I’m being a chicken by leaving before you get up, but I really did not want to say goodbye. And I knew it would be a mushy tear jerker good bye. YUCK!

Please know that I will be very- very careful.

I also want to pay for my part of the gas and some of the other things, but I know it’s not enough.

I’ve said a prayer for you two because I really think God needs to get His act together and bless you two with some kids, so don’t be surprised if this time next year there is someone keeping you awake all through the night. I hope you don’t mind, but I prayed for twins for you. Don’t worry, you’ll be the best of parents.
I also took one of the small loaves of banana nut bread because it was very delicious and I’m going to eat it for breakfast.

Since I feel you are safe people, I’m adding all I know about my Gramma and her address. She doesn’t live in town but about 30 or so minutes of driving time outside of town. From what I remember, I wish she had put her address on her letters to me, but all I have is the postal town.

Sally Madison
Decatur, AR

I’m adding you two to my nice people list; it now has three people on it. And when I have a place to call home, I am going to invite you guys to my home and we’ll have a big party.

Until then and always, you have my respect and love.

Carrie


Sam and Rhonda looked at each other; “I didn’t even get to give her the phone I got for her.” Sam said. Then he held his wife and they both shed tears of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I still am not able to reply to comments. I don't know what happened. But thank you all for reading my stories! I really appreciate the feedback. :)