Welcome!

This blog is dedicated to the stories I've written over the years. Sometimes I get some time and add a story. Grab a hot cup of something and enjoy!

Please note that for some reason, blogger is NOT allowing me to post on any comments. So thank you for reading and know I do read all the comments but cannot reply.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Place to Call Home -Fourteen

Fourteen

Carrie wasn’t able to go back to sleep but she did feel somewhat better after her shower so she wandered back into the kitchen after she got dressed in clean clothes. She could hear Nick and Naomi talking to Roger “I don’t want you going to sleep for awhile. I don’t think you have a concussion, but I don’t want to take any chances. With all that is going on in our town; taking you to the city would be even more dangerous and it’s a long drive.” Naomi was saying.

“I’ll stay up with him.” Carrie volunteered “I don’t think I could go back to sleep anyways.”

Naomi nodded her head “That would be fine” she said and she got up hugged Carrie warmly and gently and her and Nick went back to bed.

Roger turned the TV on low to one of the news stations that were on all day and night. Then he turned to Carrie “now that all the excitement is over, thank you for not listening and saving my life. Dad said that he found a van parked down the road a bit so he put the guy in it. There was no sign of anyone else. He thinks the guy was from Mollie’s school. She had been having some trouble with a guy who was coming on to her pretty hard. I didn’t get a look at the guy, so I’m not sure if it’s the same one. And dad doesn’t want to have Mollie ID him.” Roger sighed heavily. The TV caught their attention with news of all the riots.

…rolling brown outs will begin today in an effort to conserve energy as the coal plants that failed to meet the new standards are being shut down. As we know, the new standards were passed unanimously after the coal ash spill in Kingston, Tennessee during the Holiday Season of last year. The effects of the spill are still being evaluated and the company has declared bankruptcy due to the tremendous number of libel and civil suits that are being filed against them.

Only a fraction of the coal plants have been able to comply with the new standards. There are also the hopes of the lack of electricity will help to quell all the riots.

The President has canceled his press conference that was scheduled today at 2pm. No word of any rescheduling.

In other news, the major of New York City has declared a curfew that will extend as long as it takes to quell the rioting. Anyone on the streets from 6pm to 7am will be arrested. If any resistance is given or if someone attempts to flee, officers have been told to use lethal force. The governor of New York has given his support for this action and is expected to expand marital law for the whole state later today. Many other states are also expected to declare a curfew. This has many wondering if the President will declare martial law. ..


Carrie sighed heavily. This would really affect her ability to travel since she didn’t know if she would always be able to find a safe place to sleep before 6pm. Sometimes she had to walk through the night.

Roger heard her sigh and asked “What’s wrong?”

Carrie looked at Roger and explained “well, if the curfew goes into effect nationwide, it’s going to really mess up my trip. I don’t know if I will be able to find a place to stay each night that is safe, by 6pm.”

Roger looked thoughtful “you said before you were headed to Arkansas; how much further do you have to go?”

“I’ll have to go get my maps to get the exact miles but I figure I’ve got about 900 miles left to go. Although I’m really not sure since I’m trying to stay on smaller roads.”

“Well, maybe you should think about staying put for a few days and wait for the authorities to get these riots under control.”

Carrie cocked an eyebrow and quipped “you sure you don’t want me around so I can save your butt again?”

Roger smiled and said “well, there IS that.” Then he added “was that unearthly scream that I thought I heard, really you?”

“Oh yeah it was. My Gramma taught me that if you are going to step into trouble, announce yourself in a way that takes the enemy by surprise. Plus, I’ve learned that it gets the blood running in me but can freeze the blood in others.”

Roger got a silly grin on his face and said “could you get me something to drink? Please?”

“Sure, what do you want?”

“Actually some coffee, it might help me stay awake.”

“You mean my charming personality is putting you to sleep?” Carrie returned.

Roger almost managed to look horrified and Carrie laughed as she got up and began to fix the coffee maker for coffee. “How do you like your coffee?” she asked.

“Like my women, strong and sweet.”

Carrie laughed as she pulled creamer out of the fridge and got the sugar bowl down from the cabinet above the coffee maker. She liked how things were in the kitchen, right where one would think to look first. Coffee cups were hanging on small hooks under the cabinet next to the coffee maker. While she waited for it to finish up, she couldn’t help me watch Roger as he was watching the news.

If only I was a few years older, my my he is hot! Even with the lump on his head. Oh well, maybe it’s a good thing I’m too young for him, especially since I hope to be living almost 1000 miles away soon
. Carrie’s mind wandered as she thought about Roger and her Gramma.

For the next three hours, before the rest of the house woke up; Carrie and Roger talked and drank coffee. Roger told Carrie about his dreams getting into medical school and become a top surgeon. One who takes into consideration the spiritual aspects of the patients and not just view them as paycheck. Carrie thought that admirable and so confided in him about how she hoped her Gramma was still alive and would take her in. She told him how she never really set any dreams or goals for herself but now that she had listened to him and seen what joy they gave him, she would think about setting some.

“Everyone has to have dreams, Carrie. They are what give us hope for a better future. They help to shape our lives so we can stay focused on the important things. “

“I’m beginning to see that. I just never really had time to think or plan on anything except getting to my Gramma’s. I always figured that I would figure out what to do next after I got there and seen if she was there or not.”

Roger took Carrie’s hand and looked deep into her eyes, “you will come up with some great dreams and goals, I’m sure. And I hope that you don’t forget me…I mean us.” He smiled.

“Hey now, you need to quit looking at me like that, I’m too young for you.” Carrie said as she tried to remove her hand.

Roger just grinned and then before she could say another thing, he reached over with his other hand and gently placed it at the back of her head and pulled her to him and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

Carrie was momentarily stunned. Is it the fourth of July, cause I’m seeing and feeling some fireworks!

Roger himself was surprised with the amount of heat he felt. He pulled away and said softly “I don’t think you are too young, I think you are an amazing woman. Thank you for saving my life.”

Carrie was blushing with embarrassment and emotions that she never had felt before. Both were saved by the entrance of Naomi.

“Oh that coffee smells wonderful!” She declared as she swept into the kitchen and poured herself a big mug. “Ah, tastes wonderful too. Roger I know you can’t boil water, so Carrie must have made it. Thank you Carrie.” If she noticed the discomfort of her son and guest, Naomi didn’t comment on it.

“You’re welcome, can I help you with getting breakfast ready?” asked Carrie, hoping for the distraction from what had just happened between her and Roger.

All morning she was kept busy so she really didn’t have time or energy to think about the kiss or the guy she had killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I still am not able to reply to comments. I don't know what happened. But thank you all for reading my stories! I really appreciate the feedback. :)