Welcome!

This blog is dedicated to the stories I've written over the years. Sometimes I get some time and add a story. Grab a hot cup of something and enjoy!

Please note that for some reason, blogger is NOT allowing me to post on any comments. So thank you for reading and know I do read all the comments but cannot reply.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

If You Abuse it, You Lose it. -Twenty Five

Twenty Five

Coon made good time getting back to her new friends in the woods. And once she led Lady Lizzie and Buster to the farm and introduced them; she slipped back into the woods and headed towards her cave. Since Lady Lizzie and Buster were going to stay at the farm for the night and leave first thing in the morning, Coon wanted to get a few things for them. She especially wanted to get a bottle of the homemade iodine that she had made for Logan’s wounds.

And Coon was ready for some ‘alone time’. This being with people so much was beginning to fray her nerves somewhat.

The cave was cold since the coals had burnt out but it didn’t take long to get another small fire going and a kettle of water on to heat. She was simply dying for some of her granny’s tea. It’s made with equal amounts of roasted dandelion root, chicory, and burdock root; really gives a boost!


“What are we making today, Poppy?” I asked as soon as I saw him getting busy in the “kitchen”.

“I’m gonna make some iodine today, we are getting low and with the way you come home all scratched up sometimes; we need to keep a good supply handy.”

“Can I help?”

“Wouldn’t make without ya, since you use it up the most!”

We both giggled and got to work.

“So this is why we’ve been saving the peeling from our tators!” I exclaimed as Poppy brought out the pan of potato peelings.

“Yep! Also why Granny made you only peel the skins and not get any of the white!”

I remembered that, I had been peeling generously and Granny had gotten onto me about only taking the skins off the tators! Now I know why!

We got some old pickle jars out and layered them into the jars with about ½ inch space to the top. Poppy then poured some of his “medicinal” moonshine into a cup until it was about ¾ of the way full, then he topped that off with some of our pure spring water and let me carefully stir it up. We then carefully poured the liquid over the peelings in the jars; making new liquid when we needed it. We filled up the jars with the liquid and put some saran wrap over the tops.

“Ok Coon, now, it’s gonna be YOUR job to come in here and take off the saran wrap, put on the lids and shake these up two times each day.”

“For how long?” I asked, not because I’d be bored but because I wanted to get to the next step!

“For about 6 weeks. The liquid will get dirty looking. Then we’ll strain through a coffee filter. We’ll keep the starch that will be in the bottom of the jar, but toss the peelings into the compost.”

“Cool!” was all I could say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I still am not able to reply to comments. I don't know what happened. But thank you all for reading my stories! I really appreciate the feedback. :)